First of all, what is a fashion designer?
Have you ever seen a beautiful cloth and wondered who created this fantastic design? That’s what fashion designers do. They hold a special place in the fashion industry. They love to study and discover fashion trends, select materials and sketch designs. Fashion designers are responsible for creating men’s, women’s and children’s apparel. This also includes outerwear, sportswear, formalwear, footwear and eyewear. There is another type of designers who design hats, scarves and handbags. Here are some things fashion designers do,
- Deeply study fashion trends
- Use computer-aided design (CAD) programs to create amazing designs
- Introduce creative designs to the creative director or showcase them in fashion shows.
- Get samples of fabric from trade shows or manufactures.
- Work cooperatively with other designers to create prototype designs.
- Review the outcome of their design.
- Find suppliers
- Calculate costs for manufacture and materials.
- Create a more specific working pattern using a model or rough sketch.
What do I need to become a fashion designer?
If you have a creative eye for shape and colour, you have the basic requirements. You should be able to sew and cut patterns and to find new trends.
Let’s talk about educational qualifications,
To become a fashion designer, you need a higher educational degree like HND or a relevant fashion designing degree. This is important because you need practical knowledge and technical skills to enter the fashion industry. Before registering for a course, it’s better to speak with different course providers and check to what extent do they teach. Also, find out about their links to the fashion department.
- Ability to solve problems
- Technical knowledge
- Communication skills
- Decision-making skills
- Artistic skills
- Computer skills
Boost your Skills
After learning a relevant degree program, you need to improve your skills. You need to move outside of the classroom and try hands-on experience. This can be achieved by involving in an internship program with a clothing manufacturer, design firm or a personal stylist. This will help you to boost your skills.
Then you need to learn about the business of fashion. It means you need to update your knowledge regarding the creative side of this field. You should know about marketing, finance and sales.
Create a Portfolio
A portfolio is required to show your talents to clients and your competitors. It demonstrates your skills and your creativity. If you’re still a student, you can create a portfolio using works you have done during the degree or relevant course. A portfolio is useful in showing off your skills, abilities and experience.
Tips on how to become a successful fashion designer
- Learn from your mistakes
- Know about the current fashion trends
- Have a good idea about your customers’ needs
- Promote your brand
- Get recommendations from popular fashion designers
- Identify your weaknesses
- Downsize your ego
- Get inspirations from your competitors
- Learn more
- Be persistent
If you study well and work hard, you’re on the correct path of success. Start working now and achieve your dreams.